COCOMO® III Project Purpose
The purpose of the COCOMO® III project is to develop a software cost estimation model, COCOMO® III, for modern software development. The project will:
- Broaden the audiences using COCOMO®, e.g. Medical instruments, Mobile devices, Web/Internet, Big Data
- Consider domains that use different size drivers (e.g. Function Points, Requirements, Use Cases, Story Points).
- Address the scope of modern software projects
- New development paradigms
- Different software domains, e.g. embedded systems, mobile devices, software as a service
- Larger scale projects, more ambitious
- Big Data, more risk due to data loss
- Productivity enhancing practices
- Improve the accuracy and realism of estimates
- New and updated software cost drivers and their ratings
- Improved estimation workflow that reduces model misuse
- Improved driver definitions that reduces rating selection subjectivity
- Quality estimation capability
- Provide point and range estimates based on model error
- Local calibration capability
- Estimate software cost that is complementary with a COSYSMO system engineering cost estimate.
- Separation of system and software engineering activities
- Ability to move activity estimates between models
- Improve the value of COCOMO® in decision-making.
- Analysis of alternatives
- Economic impact of project decisions
- Create a strategy for maintaining past COCOMO® models
- Transforming past model drivers into COCOMO® III drivers
The project is expected to take two years.
Administrator: Julie A. Sanchez; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: (213) 740-5703